Two weeks ago, high winds knocked three sets of shingles off of our roof. At the same time, a knocking noise revealed that the gutter had started to come loose from the front of our house. We discovered that our extension ladder was too short to reach the roof, so Peter could fix neither problem. He also became concerned that our shingles were bad so we would soon need to replace the entire roof. Oh, and while we were trying to set up the slightly too short ladder in the wind, I cut my finger.
Did I mention that I later knocked the clock off the wall and broke it?
It made for a crappy day.
We were quite stressed out that we had no way to fix these problems. Fortunately, the contractor who will be building the deck onto the back of our house to correct the door to nowhere issue said he could come take care of it. He promised he would be out some time last week.
By last Friday, he still had not arrived. I called and he said maybe he would be there Monday. When I mentioned Winter Storm Titan, he offered to come on Saturday.
And then he forgot.
But my call to him early Saturday afternoon was the reminder he needed. He arrived with one of his employees. I’m thankful that he came on Saturday and that he quickly replaced the errant shingles and tightened the spouting. That’s the first thing of thankful for this week’s list of ten.
2. I’m thankful that, while he was up on the roof, he determined that the shingles should be good for another ten years.
3. I’m thankful that Philip had a good time at the Dr. Seuss Family Fun Night last Saturday.
4. I’m thankful I had nowhere to be on Sunday, so I could lounge around in my sweatpants most of the day.
5. I thankful that I was able to shovel the entire driveway on Sunday afternoon without giving into laziness. And then I could go back to lounging in my sweatpants.
6. I’m thankful that the ice storm bypassed us on Sunday night. I’m sorry for those of you affected by it.
7. I’m thankful for another shot at jury duty. I received another summons this week. I’ll call in on Monday evening to find out if it’s canceled again or if I get a chance to
gather some blog fodder serve my civic duty.
8. I’m thankful to be included in this “Blogs that I Love” post over at Diary of a Doting Mom.
9. I’m thankful I found a replacement clock for the one I knocked off the wall two weeks ago. It’s a huge, battery-operated, non-digital clock. And it was cheap!
10. I thankful that it was sunny and warmer this Friday. Even if the weather is nice for one day, it sure beats the cold and gloom that’s been around this winter. I’ll take one day over no days.
What are you thankful for today? Share in the comments or write your own post and link up!