1. I’m thankful that I got to stay home all last weekend. Philip was congested, and I had a scratchy throat. I had nowhere that I had to be and could send Peter out on Sunday morning to pick up a few items we needed. I stayed in my sweatpants all weekend long.
2. While I’m not thankful that Philip has been sick, I’m thankful that I took him to the doctor on Monday morning so we could catch an ear infection in its early stages. This happened right after I said to the pediatrician, “Knock on wood, he’s never had an ear infection.”
3. I’m thankful that I taught Philip a new word this week: booger. While he is mostly non-speaking, he does vocalize a few words. On Wednesday night, he chose to mimic me after I said, “Let Mommy get that booger out of your nose.” He then said, “Booger” and proceeded to do the most amazing and amusing riff on it ever. “Booger, booga, boog, boog, booga, booga, booger.” I laughed until I cried.
4. I’m thankful I got that booger out.
5. I’m thankful that I was able to get out of my driveway on Tuesday. Despite shoveling for forty-five minutes, I thought I would be stuck at home because our “street” had not been plowed. However, they came down our way by 7:30 am. I was late for work, but I made it there safely. As I wrote about here, I have to use vacation or sick time if I don’t go to work due to the weather.
6. I’m thankful to be a part of The Blogging Alliance of the Damned. Started by The Cutter, I’ve been introduced to bloggers I might not otherwise have followed or read. Plus, we will complete bi-weekly challenges that will force me to break through writer’s block and get creative. There’s room for you, too! Leave a note in the comments if you want more details.
7. I’m thankful that I won two books in a giveaway sponsored by Anna Sandler and Kristin Wald of Sandler & Wald Social Media. “You Have Lipstick on Your Teeth” and I Just Want to Pee Alone arrived in the mail this week. Anna has essays in both books. I’ll start reading them soon and will probably write review posts before gifting them on to others. Who knows? I may even do my own giveaway.
8. I’m thankful I was able to pick up Grayson Queen’s new book, The Orange Buffalo, for free! He is offering the Kindle edition at no charge in honor of his birthday. Hurry! The offer ends Sunday, February 23.
9. I’m thankful that a coworker bought me Chinese for lunch on Friday after she saw the pathetic excuse for a microwave “meal” that I packed. It was sad. The microwave lunch that was on sale for ninety-nine cents, not the sesame chicken that the coworker bought.
10. I’m thankful that my Friday lunch included the best egg roll I’ve eaten in years. Seriously, I’ll be talking about this egg roll for weeks. My coworkers will be saying, “Shut up about the damn egg roll!”