Mama called the other doctor and that doctor said . . .

I’m waiting to hear back from the pediatricians’ office.

We kept Philip home from school most of last week in the hopes that his cold would go away.

It didn’t.

Instead, he began coughing toward the end of the week. On Sunday, when he tried to take a nap, thick mucus was draining and making him cough. Listening to him try to breathe through the phlegm made me want to gag.

Since Monday was a holiday, Philip didn’t have school and I didn’t have to go to work. In fact, I had scheduled my own doctor’s appointment for that morning just so I wouldn’t have to take time off from work.

So I dressed a barely awake Philip and headed out the door at 7:00 am to take him to the walk-in hours at the pediatricians’ office.  As if on cue, he demonstrated his horrible cough for the receptionist.

Despite the snot and cough, Philip has been in a really good mood this past week. He was happy to play in the waiting room for a few minutes.

The smiles disappeared as soon as we were led to the back. He cried and sat down on the scale. He continued to cry once I had him upright, only marginally distracted by the numbers changing on the digital display.

How tall is he? Not sure. He was not the least bit interested in standing against the wall to be measured.

The sobs intensified when the nurse led us to the examination room. He dutifully sat in the chair, however. I picked him up and put him on my lap. I knew that he wouldn’t stay in the chair once the examination began.

Even though he cried, he helped out each time a nurse held the stethoscope to his chest.

Diagnosed with a sinus infection, I took him home. That night at bath time, he found his toy stethoscope.

Philip uses his toy stethoscope, just like the doctor did that morning

Philip uses his toy stethoscope, just like the doctor did that morning

Philip has Mama use the stethoscope

Philip has Mama use the stethoscope

He was all smiles in the pictures. And then it was time to give him his medicine.

I wish he didn’t hate the medicine so much. He cries and he struggles. And he is an incredibly strong four-year-old. He pushes my hand away, crying until he gags. I have to be a mean mommy and try to get the antibiotic into his mouth.

Last night was even worse. It made me cry to see how upsetting the whole process was for him.

So, I called the doctor’s office this morning. I’m waiting to hear back. I’m hoping they’ll tell me there is another form that I can administer to Philip because, at this point, only half of the medicine is getting in his mouth. He and I were wearing the rest.

I’m worried they will call back and say, “Mix it with yogurt.” If I thought that Philip would eat yogurt for the next eight days, I would try this. However, it has been several months since Philip ate a couple of spoonfuls, so I don’t think this is a solution.

I know that the texture and taste of the antibiotic is the problem. I administer liquid Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen orally without a hitch. When I gave him his first dose of antibiotic, he thought I was offering the usual mixed berry children’s pain reliever. As soon as the thick, white absolutely not berry flavored medicine hit his tongue, he went into defensive mode.

More than anything I want Philip to be healthy. But soothing words are not enough to convince him that he should willingly swallow that stuff.


The nurse just phoned. Chocolate milk. The nurse thinks the chocolate will be enough to disguise the taste. She wants me to try that first before we switch medication.

“OK,” I told her. “You’ll be hearing from me tomorrow if it doesn’t work.”

I can’t help but hear Mary Poppins singing in my head, “Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.” Let’s see if chocolate has the same effect.

Wish us luck.

11 thoughts on “Mama called the other doctor and that doctor said . . .

  1. “More than anything I want Philip to be healthy.” Amen! We have the same problem when our 2 year 9 month old son has to take medicine. Even worse is that when we do finally get it down, he often ends up vomiting it up anyway! (Nice visual for you,haha!) Praying for your family.


  2. AH, the days when J would have us airborne during attempts to give him medication. I remember those, and don’t miss them one bit. If it’s amoxycillin (the dreaded pink stuff,) I don’t think milk chocolate will work. There’s an after taste there that is just yucky. We used to negotiate with J, and for every bit of med he got, we gave him some Pixie Stix (we’re bad parents, we know…horrible, horrible parents…) or a Tootsie Pop. Have you tried the Kool-Aid Burst approach??? Those tend to wash things down quite quickly…

    We’re rooting for you, my dear.


      1. I don’t blame you…if it’s not working, why put ANYONE through that hassle. Is he doing any better today?

        I wish I could help you more…J was tremendously strong, even when he was a slip of a thing with a lot less weight on him.

        How are YOU feeling?


What do you have to say about that?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s