When I climbed into bed this morning at 1:40 am for the third and final time, I had an epiphany:
I’m thankful I don’t work in retail.
I can’t say that I was looking forward to coming to work today, especially after Philip struggled to fall asleep last night. Then I thought of all of the people who would be working in stores that are opening early to serve the crowds of other people who have the day off. Since I dislike both crowds and shopping, I realized my day at work wasn’t go to be all that bad. I can’t help but feel thankful when I think of it like this:
- I have a job where things will be quiet the day after Thanksgiving.
- I have a job that doesn’t require earlier, later or longer hours because of the holidays.
- I have a job that lets me clock out at 5:00 pm and not give it another moment’s thought.
- I have a job that doesn’t make me miserable.
- I have a job with a safe working environment.
- I have a job.
Every time I complain about work, I hope I remember that last one.
I’m thankful I have a job.